Careers - Shopify Technical Lead
About the role
As part of our leadership team, you guide development efforts through project planning & direction, collaboration & mentorship, as well as hands-on overflow coding for more complex front-end components and styles—all in service of bringing interactive concepts to life.
As Shopify Technical Lead, you’re the lynchpin to achieving our clients’ goals. Your work won't just be seen, it will be felt. You know when a website just feels right? On mobile, tablets, widescreen 5k monitors — wherever a customer touches the site, it's your job to make sure they get that feeling. That our clients' sites just work. We tackle problems of all sizes for clients big and small, and you're leading the charge to solve them by guiding and nurturing other developers.
This is an opportunity to continue growing that team, our status in the Shopify community, our business, and our clients’ businesses. The impact you’re going to have on our clients, and on our ability to deliver for them, is something you’ll be able to hang on your wall of experience, point at, and say, “Yeah, I helped make that happen.”
- You have a well-thought perspective on development, while also maintaining a curious flexibility and willingness to consider other perspectives, technologies, and tools. You apply the one that works best in the case at hand.
- You're okay with ambiguity or unknowns because you're a diligent problem-solver and answer-finder. Google (et al), Stack Overflow (et al), and Slack channels are your friends.
- You're appreciative of good design, with the belief that anyone involved in creating a product is, on some level, a designer. You always consider how clients and their customers will interact with the experiences we build.
- You have a Jobsian view of development: that no matter the beauty of the exterior, if the interior is trash... well, the whole thing is. That the unseen components should be as intricately detailed as those seen every day.
Here's a sense of where we see this role fitting into a larger team dynamic:
Shopify Development Intern > Shopify Developer > Shopify Senior Developer > Shopify Technical Lead > VP, Technology
Day to Day
- Define user stories and acceptance criteria on tasks, maintaining a backlog of work that the dev team can pull from.
- Communicate any blockers, progress, and statuses regarding a task to the team and/or Project Manager.
- Review pull requests, debug and/or suggest alternate solutions for your own or others' code.
- Use Github to create branches, push new code changes, and create and merge pull requests.
- Collaborate with Sales, Strategy, and Design teams to conceptualize development solutions to user experience problems.
- Create screen-share/videos to document process, decision-making, or direction internally, as well as for clients.
- Collaborate with the Design team to guide interactivity in the final product.
- Extend and refine the templates and components in our component library.
- Follow, extend, and refine internal Standard Operating Procedures, scaling our methodology by documenting key processes and tools.
- Create content and collaborate with leadership on development efforts in order to empower sales.
- Must have 2-3 yrs. in a Shopify Developer role.
- Proficient with the English language in both writing and speaking.
- Knowledgeable in modern CSS concepts like Grid and Flexbox, CSS custom properties or informally-named CSS variables.
- Familiar with and comfortable using modern build tools like Parcel, Vite, or Webpack.
- Balance 3-4 different tasks in a day with ease, and take initiative to fill the entirety of your day after those assigned are complete.
- Balance multiple projects in a week, ensuring quality and timeliness across your tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal oversight, able to take ownership of projects.
- Attention to detail and a keen eye for excellent customer experience concepts.
- Able to follow site optimization and performance best practices (accessibility, SEO, site performance/speed).
- Able to test and reconcile cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Able to use design tool "inspect" mode as part of design handoff.
- Able to explain technical stuff in layman’s terms to non-developers.
- Mac user, quick with the keyboard and adept with shortcuts and time-saving apps.
- Experience working on a fully remote and distributed team.
- Experience with any of the technologies that we use and love: Web Components, React.js, Vue, Next.js, Node.js, Rails, Netlify/Serverless Functions, Tailwind, Shopify Polaris, MongoDB, Airtable, Pipedream, Mechanic, Gadget, Recharge, Rebuy, Klaviyo, Okendo
Tools you'll use
- Apple computer hardware
- Shopify Admin
- Google Workspace (Email, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
This is a full-time position with an estimated annual salary range of $95,000-$110,000
Compensation is based on location, skills, and experience
We committed to celebrating all dimensions of diversity equally and ensuring that everyone feels a sense of inclusion and belonging in our workplace. We also extend this commitment to the partners we work with and the clients we serve. We are constantly listening, learning, and evolving to deliver on these principles.